Sunday, January 11, 2004

Busy Busy Busy

Well, I got my new eyeglasses: two pairs, very different styles from what I'm used to and and also different from each other. Props to Doug, Lori & Kris for the invaluable assistance. We went for dinner at Lobaido's in Allentown while they filled my prescription, and that's where Eric met us -- he worked late until Kris called and told him we were done shopping. The food was excellent as always. I got something called Pollo Sorrentino, which was breaded chicken and eggplant parmigiana with some pasta; couldn't tell you now what anyone else had, I was a little preoccupied... I think almost all the best restaurants in the Lehigh Valley are in Allentown, and they're like Lobiado's: little holes-in-the-wall scattered through Allentown's neighborhoods, and almost without exception they're BYO -- the big exception being Cannons, the "best dive bar in America."

Anyway, Lobaidos has fantastic food, especially their salad, but they also have homemade ice cream and I was looking forward to some cherry vanilla, but time was pressing -- I had to pick up the glasses before they closed. I was planning to pay for dinner as a thank-you gesture but they refused, in fact made me leave before the bill or I'd miss the mall closing. I'll get even with them I swear....

I went out again after I got home, basically the same drill as Friday but without the Mad Elf. I stopped in at Which Brew and caught the last set of the Skulldiggers and hung out with Heath and Hans Kneller, two brothers I know mainly from Which Brew, but I know they're VMB members and they ride and someday (hopefully it'll be warmer) we'll get in a ride or two together. They know the mandolin player in the band, which was laying down some really good Dead-style bluegrass. Which Brew closes at midnight, so when the party ended we all trooped over to Porters to catch the last set of Duende, an awesome duo that leans towards "traditional music." (The girl bartends occasionaly at -- you guessed it -- Which Brew.) I've seen them before and they're good, but last night they just blew me away. I think they need a long time to come to a focus, and seeing them early in the evening (like before midnight at Which Brew) doesn't show them in their best light... They also had a young and crunchier crowd, real rowdy and appreciative, which helped fire things up.

One beer fewer than Friday, but a much later night and I felt like sleeping in but Joe and I had plans to ride Kittatinny Valley State Park in NJ. Joe must have run into Dave "Creepy Guy" somewhere last night & told him about the ride, and brought him along. Good ride though, until my rear brake lever crapped out, but even then it was still pretty good.

Think I'll go fix my brake lever. Goodnight.

No comments: