Saturday, January 17, 2004

by the sea by the sea

Morning weigh in (Friday): 180#, 13% body fat
Morning weigh-in (Saturday): 179.5#, 14% body fat

Comments are back up!

Interesting day at work yesterday, things moved pretty quickly; also, a number of retirees visited because the department had a belated holiday luncheon -- I blew it off of course, & Dan and I were pretty much the only two Grinches who didn't go... good to see some old faces though, hear they're doing OK.

Rode the towpath last night, but only to the boat launch outside Freemansburg (still took me two hours because of the snow), then had dinner & a few beers at Which Brew, where it was literally standing room only because Duende was playing. Again, they were good but only really shined later in the evening. They ended with my two favorite songs: "The Unauthorized Biography of Django Reinhardt" and "West Virginia." The last one reminds me of Easton (especially the Easton I dream about, partially in ruins and full of alleys and secret passages), though being about WV is pretty cool too. Lotsa pub people there that I knew (Stu & Kathy, Ed, the Kneller brothers, Carole & Steve who now live near me), as well as Brian and Joe G and Creepy Dave. Anyway, a good night.

The usual selfish day today: Coffee Works, then gym, then shopping/chores. Ran into Violetta at Nature's Way (she works there, after all), and she started talking about an Alaskan adventure this summer, then that girl Sarah started saying how she was also going to Alaska and I said "Two words: Alexander Supertramp." They had no idea what I was talking about so I told them about Into the Wild, the book by Jim Krakauer about the life and death of Chris "Alexander Supertramp" McCandless. They both said they'd be careful...

That got me thinking about the Salton Sea, which I now can't stop thinking about, or get "By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea" out of my head, though from all accounts the Salton Sea is anything but beautiful. For a while, the McCandless/Salton connections kept coming up, all sorts of coincidences, six degrees of separation etc: skateboard movies, Outside articles, the movie of the same name, etc. Really, just another part of my dream-Easton.

Anyway, meeting friends at the 19th Street Theater in Allentown to see "The Triplets of Belleville," & will probably make plans there to ride either Jordan or South Mountain tomorrow. Outta here...

by the sea by the
see bye beautiful

No comments: