Monday, February 11, 2008

Spending Money Like A Drunken Sailor

Morning weigh-in: 166#, 10.5% BF
 
On Saturday at least it felt like I was hemorrhaging funds... and between yoga, the gym, the massage and finally a haircut, it was more like a "spa day," and in fact more selfish ("self-ish?") than the usual selfish day, which is really just all about the chores. Yoga's free (or rather, already paid for), ditto the gym (except for personal trainer fees -- Dawn's a friend, but I pay her to hang out with me on Saturdays), the haircut was reasonable and I had a coupon for the massage, but it sure seemed like I was burning through cash...
 
To recap: Friday was Which Brew after a towpath ride with Larry -- for some reason we really cruised, a painlessly fast pace, pretty gratifying. (I saw him later at the WB, where Heath & Hans, and also Taylor were hanging, and they swamped him with bike talk/advice when he mentioned the ride.) The Skulldiggers were playing, and I had a mesclin/apple salad with pork tenderloin medallions. I was hanging with Heath & Hans, and I was going to follow those guys to Porters but my better judgement got a hold of me -- found out later that the band I wanted to see there Saturday night actually played Friday. Oh well, you can't be everywhere.
 
Daytime Saturday you know about; Saturday evening was dinner at WB again, but an early night, just food and socializing for a bit. That massage actually wore me out, and I was home in bed by 10:30.
 
I woke up Sunday feeling sore like I'd been racing, or maybe playing football or something, more fallout from that massage. I decided to sort of take it easy, and rode South Mountain Park (aka Lehigh) via the towpath. Breakfast at the Quadrant on the way out, prevailing westerlies on the towpath, late lunch in Bethlehem, at the revamped Blue Sky while the snow squall blew through, and a nice tail wind for the ride home. After that came laundry, where I discovered all the money I thought I'd spent, stuffed into various pockets... Dinner was Porters, where I am now about three beers away from my new mug.
 
Tonight I'm hitting the slopes. I have a free pass.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"where I discovered all the money I thought I'd spent, stuffed into various pockets..." ROTFLMAO!!!
You crack me up! Doug's car used to look like that.....money thrown here and there in the interior. I figure, if you don't care where ya throw it, ya can't need it all that badly. You kids!!! Yes, you're all still "kids" to me and always will be. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I had an upper body massage last year.
Never again!
My "internal" organs & muscles felt abused for a week.
If I want to feel that bad, I'll wait for the flu.

Don said...

Actually, I feel pretty good now, and the tension knots in my back & neck are gone. Amazing improvement in leg mobility too, hip rotation etc -- the massage girl had an agenda: she wanted to deal with problems caused by my bad sitting posture at work, and I think she succeeded.

And laugh if you want Toni, but I was a rich rich man this morning!

Anonymous said...

Donnie Don, you enjoy a full life; so you're always a rich man.