Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Winter Requiem

Morning weigh-in: 168#, 9% BF
 
Day two, car-free. Carpooled in this morning (in a hybrid), have a rental lined up for when I get home, and will probably own a new car by the weekend if I do this right. Got a loan application from the credit union, but checked and found that I have enough in that account (it's sort of my "forgotten money" pile) to pay cash. That might give me some serious leverage when talking price, but I know of no one who ever paid cash for something that big, there may be a hidden downside, I fear being the lemming that doesn't leap...
 
Took a taxi to the gym last night, big hit to the pocketbook so I walked home rather than take the hit twice. My return path took me right past Which Brew's door, and I know I'm supposed to be dieting but I stopped in anyway. Place was pretty empty except for the corner, where some of the usual suspects were hanging out, and they seemed a bit subdued. (Subdued on the inside, they were raucous as ever in terms of externalities.) It turned out that Pete's mom had just passed away -- recent conversations, where "visiting" and "nursing home" were mentioned in passing, suddenly came to mind with greater significance. Pete was flanked by friends, among them Ed and Andy, both of whom lost a parent this year. (She wasn't there, but one of the bartenders lost a grandparent recently too I believe.) Common enough at this time, what with the cold and the holiday stress (at work we call it the "winter cull"), but the holidays are a tough time to have to be mourning. Is there an easy time?
 
I just remembered, tomorrow is the anniversary of Mike K's passing. Synchronicity, I was thinking about him last night... There's a regular at Which Brew who moves a little like Mike -- I often see this guy move out of the corner of my eye, unconsciously assume it's Mike and then catch myself. One of the newer bartenders has a big blue van like Mike's, and seeing that in the parking lot is also kind of freaky. The past is never that far away I guess.
 
Anyway, picking up the rental tonight, then going to yoga. Dinner will be leftover pasta w/ tuna & wilted greens, which I made last night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgotten money that's enough to pay cash for a new car? That should definitely give you bargaining leverage. Can't wait to hear what you pick. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Don said...

Used credit union, payment directly from my paycheck every week to buy the last car, and when the car was paid off I never stopped the payment deduction. It's been socking away into my inot my credit union account ever since...