Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Days Fly By

Morning weigh-in: 166#, 11.5% BF

I was thinking of either skiing again or riding this morning, but it was raining. I guess I could have done either one anyway, but I am pretty tired from yesterday's skiing and yoga, and tonight is alterna-workout nite -- I may bust out the singlespeed and cruise the neighborhoods later this evening, my Easton street sprints workout.

Today was just laundry, general housework, and of course fiddling with the computer, but we're talking mostly just browsing, even though I've been messing again with that Octave, trying different things etc. That kind of play just eats time.

I remember when I was hurt/sick last year, making all sorts of promises to myself -- bike every day, get back into skiing, get a pedicure, etc -- as soon as my foot was healed. By the time it was over I was totally jonesing, ready to make up for all sorts of lost time, but (in the case of the bike) within a few weeks it was no longer a joyous gift and luxury, I was more like "eh, whatever" when I missed a ride. Now I have the skis: I had big plans to ski every day, maybe take a trip over Christmas -- one day on the slopes and it's back to "same old same old, think I'll take a day off." Still haven't gotten that pedicure...

BTW and TMI: My left big toe, the one I dropped a log on once, has a bad case of "old man's toenail." I cut and file and buff, but nothing seems to help; that pedicure would probably be a good idea if I weren't so embarrassed to show the toe.

Anyway, had that pot roast last night, though I cooked it more like "New England Boiled Dinner:" just a bunch of carrots, celery, onions and potatoes (you can actually buy this combination pre-cut in a bag, like a salad - who knew?), some onion soup mix and a chunk of meat. It cooked in the crock pot for about 8 hours, and I had it with some salad and a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. It was so good, I'll probably do the same thing again tonight, or at least hit the leftovers.

I'd like to do a NJ road ride with my friend Joe tomorrow -- he's also off, this crappy weather is getting to him too but the morning weather should be cooperative enough for the road -- but I haven't heard back from him yet. I'll do a little bike prep while the laundry continues, then I'm off to the gym.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get a Dr to prescribe Lamisil pills to clear up a fungus, if the toe has a fungus, though you need a blood test for liver before & during treatment.
It worked for me a few yrs back.

Once the sun shows its face, we'll all be smiling again!

Don said...

I don't thing it's diseased or anything, just misshapen: the toe adheres to the nail in a funny and asymmetrical way, and the nail itself has a much tighter curve than the other big toenail. Couldn't hurt to try some tea tree oil though...