Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Three, Two, One, Castoff!


Yep, it came off today. Mom & Dad came up in the morning, not suspecting that I also had a ton of chores that needed doing, but first order of business was to go to the doctor's office. That was pretty uneventful, the cast came off in what, from stories I've heard, is the usual way -- ie they used a small circular saw, more like a wafer wheel -- gave my foot a little cleaning, and took a few x-rays. When the x-rays were ready the doctor came in, said everything looked pretty good, answered my questions and gave me a prescription for physical therapy. Unfortunately, it turns out that Valley Sports & Arthritis only takes my insurance for surgery etc, not for their in-house rehab, so I'll have to find somewhere else to go.

Anyway, got home, put my other shoe on (tight fit due to swelling; I also think my toes have become a little splayed), and with the extra support of the hiking boots I tried a little experiment -- within a few minutes I was able to walk without crutches. Woo-hoo!

We finished up the chores and errands at my place, which mostly revolved around laundry and garbage, then had a late lunch at Lutzi's (a place I'd passed by hundreds of times, but never been inside... verdict: it was good) before my parents headed home. Thanks again Mom & Dad!

By the way, you can see photos of my cast coming of by clicking here (WARNING: ICKY).

No comments: