Monday, April 24, 2006

Sloosha's Crossing

Stayed in Friday night, played with computer.

Saturday I went to Coffee Works for breakfast, then the gym, and then went to the Quadrant for lunch and to buy some unground coffee. I was too tired/footsore after that for any other shopping or errands, so I just went home afterwards & took a nap. Crappy weather anyway, didn't feel like being out.

Saturday night I went out to Which Brew (no band) and met Brian for dinner. Early night for both of us.

Sunday I stayed in most of the day. Got up at say 8:00 AM, but immediately parked my butt in front of the computer, didn't even eat breakfast until noon. As a followup to conversations with trainer Dawn (who's reading a biography of Cicero), I downloaded Xenophon's Anabasis from the Gutenberg Project, and reading it while jamming out to the Electronica charts from SoundClick, weird juxtaposition I know but it kept me entertained...

I kept at the computer most of the rainy part of the day, then when it cleared up I decided to go look at the bikes. I did a little post-ride cleanup on the Turner, only seven weeks after the fact, then I got up some nerve and rode the Surly around the block, then I took the Turner out for a one-mile ride. Seven weeks to the day, and I'm at least technically back on the bike.

My morning routine is now to get up early & get ready, then kick back on the recliner for a few minutes of "foot higher than my heart" before going to work. I usually read a bit while I'm there, nothing big, mostly either short essays or a few pages of some book I already read. This morning I read part of Cloud Atlas, which I've been dipping into quite a bit lately. The part I'm reading is called "Sloosha's Crossinn an' Evr'ythin' After," or something like that. It's the story, told by an old man in Hawaii, maybe 1000 years from now, to his grandkids about how he escaped enslavement when his society was invaded and destroyed. Amazing story for a lot of reasons, but it just struk me how the behavior of the Ten Thousand with respect to the natives in northern Turkey was so similar to what happened to the invaded people in this other story.

No comments: