Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Positively Splitsville

Morning weigh-in: 164.5#, 7.5% BF
 
Ran last night, my usual two miles out past the old chemical plant and their next-door neighbor, the reservoir. (Hmmmm....) I started well and got up to a good speed, but after the turnaround I tired and slowed down. My faster friends always recommend what they call "negative splits," by which they mean that the second half of your run should be done a little faster than the first, so your run times for the successive halves will actually drop -- well I had what you might call "positive splits." Did a standard endurance workout in the gym after that, the first in about two weeks and it left me hurting.
 
My Other Desert Epiphany: Riding in Porcupine Rim, I kind of came to the conclusion that (barring a really bad crash) you really have to be an idiot to get yourself killed out there. It does happen, but you hear the stories of what actually did happen such cases, and it's always a tale of idiocy.
 
By the way, I've been posting vacation pictures to my flickr account, I have maybe 100 or so posted so far.
 
Hit Which Brew for dinner -- it was Mug Club Night, and also the first "Metal Monday." (Not sure how rigorous their definition of "metal" might be, but the music did rock.) No one said anything, but one of the girls was totally stressed and depressed, and I took from context clues that her relationship must have tanked. Poor girl, she hasn't always had the best of luck guy-wise, and this one did look like the real deal; I just hope I'm wrong and it was maybe a bad day in some other way. Sheesh, you go away for a week and the world falls apart...
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian killed a gecko?!?!?! Someone will have to alert Geiko!!

Was that cow lost, or is there a farm nearby that we can't see in the picture?

Love prairie dogs!!

The mesa/butte (whatever) is gorgeous!

I keep wondering how the trails got their names.

Don said...

Yeah the thing ran right under his tire. I don't think Geiko carries life insuance, even for geckos...

Anonymous said...

No, but Brian may have killed a potential spokesgecko for Geiko.
;-)

Don said...

True enough! By the way, we were riding in Bureau of Land Management public rangeland. Cattle ranchers rent the land for grazing. There were other cows along the river, but they probably live on their own until cowboys come round them up -- there are not many farms (or anything else) nearby.