Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Appomattox! Party Naked! Buy Me Beer!

Morning weigh-in: 163.5#, 9% BF (woo hoo!)
 
Yup, Happy Birthday To Me -- 45 years young today! It's also the anniversary of Lee's surrender to Grant at Appomattox in 1865, and Bataan's fall to the Japanese in 1942. (It's also Sweetness's birthday -- a Porter's regular, he's maybe 30 years older than me.) I guess the lesson here is that I may not like the aging thing but I can't stop it, so just take your lumps and go with the flow...
 
I feel like I'm a million years old today. Last night's ride was not blazingly fast (fast enough), but it was hard. Me, Joe and Cindy, and Greg, on one of Joe's "hard ride" loops. It started innocently enough, with a tailwind-assisted semi-downhill paceline -- we were doing 25 mph and I was like "why this isn't hard at all!" -- but we eventually started hitting all sorts of hills, and the fast pace did not drop. Well it did drop some, but we were still going up some long, steep hills at say, 12-15 mph, just about "cracking pace" for me, I barely able to hold on. Cindy, who did a morning run that day, peeled off after a while, and then I was left alone with the monsters, who absolutely crushed me... (Luckily they both said it was the toughest ride of the year so far, for either of them, or I would have cried.) Our total distance was like 24 miles, and our average was 16.9 mph, which means the ride lasted about 1:25. That makes sense, since we got back a little before dark. Actually I feel like a million bucks.
 
Tonight I'm riding the singlespeed at Jacobsburg, then going to the VMB meeting at the Christian Springs Hotel. I'll be milking the birthday; I expect to get a free beer out of somebody.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The horse and mule live 30 years
And never know of wines and beers
The goat and sheep at 20 die
Without a taste of scotch or rye
The cow drinks water by the ton
And at 18 is mostly done
The dog at 15 cashes in
Without the aid of rum or gin
The modest, sober, bone-dry hen
Lays eggs for nogs and dies at 10
But sinful, ginful, rum-soaked men
Survive three-score years and ten
And some of us...though mighty few
Stay pickled 'til were 92

Raising a glass of brew to your
45th, Don....and may you get at least 45 more. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Don said...

Thanks Toni! Another 45?? I'll do my best, pass the pickling agents...

Anonymous said...

Don
Didn't realize it was your birthday today....well happy birthday!!! Hope you had a good ride at the burg!

Eric B

Don said...

And I hope yu had a good road ride! Saw Greg on the MTB at J'burg too, like not long after you left, by the way.

Anonymous said...

HAPY BIRTHDAY, firstborn son!
The very best is yet to come!!

There's longevity in your ancestry
Who never even biked like thee!

So here's to health and many years New adventures and scarce few tears

Don said...

Wow Mom, that was pretty cool! And thanks, ditto for the "singing birthday message."