Monday, December 20, 2004

Flowing Underground

Morning weigh-in: 179#, 11% BF

Drove along the Muskenetcong River on the way in today, and it had that "glowing green" look about it -- schweet! I also saw some info (on the web, while looking up some info about Mithraism and its underground temples) about the rivers in London, tributaries of the Thames that have been covered over and now flow as sewers; they're starting to recover (rather, uncover) them, and have even been able to stock a few with fish...

-- anyway --

Friday night: I got home planning to ride, but instead worked on that shell script which builds static HTML photo galleries (my photos, the non-yahoo ones, were made by an earlier version). I recently decided to revamp it, using unordered lists and CSS rather than tables for the index page, and also I decided to use "here documents" in the script, rather than loads of echo statements. Anyway, I started playing, never got around to riding, and only left the house at 11:00 PM for the VMB Christmas Party... things were in full swing when I got there: beer pong, a fog machine, bike videos, etc. I made a valiant effort to play catch-up, and ended up sleeping in Doug's basement -- but only after we drunkenly made some of the worst music ever, with some cool new software he got.

Saturday was "selfish day," when I hit the coffee shop, then the gym, then the natural food store, then the other coffee shop (got one to go), then the farmer's market in the square... After that I drove out to Emmaus to that new bike store, did some more Christmas shopping and got an espresso while I was there. Ran into Hans whose bike was being repaired, also Selene who was just enjoying the bike store / coffee shop scene; Selene & company were riding French Creek on Sunday, but I talked Hans into joining us for an Allamuchy ride. I just made it home in time to get my drycleaning, then worked on the bike, got cleaned up and went to Joe G's party. I just stopped in to say hello, had a beer and then left for Gary & Gina's party. Both parties were pretty cool, but I was kind of partied out (and I really didn't know many people at Gary's) and left early, was home by 11:30.

Sunday I met Hans (who lives in Salisbury I think) at the Easton Perkins; we had breakfast --talked bikes with the manager as well as some guy I've seen at Jacobsburg, doing post-church breakfast with the wife -- then caravanned out to Allamuchy. Ten miles over there in slight drizzle/flurries with Brian and Bob, short & sweet & done before the bad weather, then home, laundry, more online xmas shopping and my weekly afternoon nap.

Now it's today. I have one more "real" gift to get, and two gag gifts (for parties Wed & Thurs), then I'm done, and not a moment too soon.

No comments: