Sunday, January 04, 2004

Well, after about half a week of my new diet/exercise resolutions, I'm up two pounds... I know the conventional wisdom is not to be too obsessive about the scale (it's not even that accurate), but the "fat is converting to muscle so you're really getting more slender & in better shape even if the weight goes up" adage doesn't really hold all that much water for me: I have reasonably good muscle tone, not much intramuscular fat -- mostly I just have a serious inner tube, but this is the ominous "syndrome X" situation -- so there's not much "gain muscle to lose fat" opportunity. Still, if the scale doesn't start telling me what I want to hear soon, I'm going to throw it out the window. In other fitness news, I finally got my HRM watch battery replaced (it's only been about a year). My resting heart rate is currently 54 bpm.

One small reason why the weight might have gone up: Went to a co-worker Christmas party last night in Parsippany (my friend Vito, who retired about a year ago). This was the party that got rescheduled from the night of the big snowstorm, just before Christmas. For dinner they had pizza, antipasto, filet mignon, yams, potatoes, onions, broccoli casserole (Vito's wife & daughter are vegetarian, as is Jay Chandran, who I hadn't seen since he retired), a spiral ham (in case anyone's afraid of Mad Cow), homemade wine, sausage & peppers (Pat Gargone said he liked them, last Christmas), and several different pies for dessert. Good time and an unbelievable spread, but so much for my resolutions -- I'm surprised I can even move this morning!

We (Chain Gang) were supposed to go ride at Allamuchy this morning but it's raining and cold. Maybe a "Cold Mountain" matinee instead?

No comments: