Sunday, March 29, 2009

Repent, Harlequin!

Tick Tock Man: So I took Langston for a walk at Sals yesterday, and though I never really worried about ticks before (like, it's been a non-issue while riding), we've been finding ticks on him fairly regularly lately, so we gave him the once-over with the brush when I got back. (It didn't help that he'd been in every sticker bush and mud puddle up there: he was a mess of mud, burrs; I wouldn't have been surprised to find he had leeches.) We found a few deer ticks on him brushing him off, then we found two on my clothes. I went up to shower and found three more on my body, including one somewhat attached and one really attached -- that's the spot where I have a mosquito-bite-like welt today. If my summer really sucks, with PICC line and swollen joints, yesterday is the day I'll be thinking most about.

We went out to Donna's spring party after that, great time but I had to leave early because of her cats. When we got home we checked Langston again, and found twenty four more of the little buggers -- and one more today.

Anyway, Donna's party... Like I said, great time. I was surprised at how many peeps I knew there, even one or two of her work friends I already knew. Lots of good food, Dogfish Head beers... and speaking of peeps, that's what we brought, along with some cheese and bread that we picked up at the Allentown Farmer's Market. My first trip there, and the place really is a trip -- many many diverse types of characters, at one point I said to Anne that if you went there to actually people watch, your head would explode.

The Man With The Plan: This week was the first of the "build weeks" in my training plan. I was supposed to ride 120 miles and burn 7000 calories, those were my goals, and -- well, I made it. Eighty eight hundred calories, and 121miles, and as of tomorrow it's gone, I have to do it again next week. Wilderness 101 is coming, I am way ahead of where I was last year but the clock is ticking.

3 comments:

HMK said...

If you really think your red welt is from a tick bite go to a doctor and get appropriate antibiotic to fend off the more serious infections and symptoms that can follow.
No tick head in there, is there? Still the venom.
Is there the bull's eye rash?

TG you stripped to check out your bod & shower.
There's always something to keep us from being too complacent in Paradise.

There must be a repellent spray too.

Anonymous said...

Don - don't fool around with the tick bite. Get it checked out pronto!

- 0xDEADBEEF

Don said...

Not to worry. I went to the doctor, and am now on a 21 day regimen of amoxycilllin. Should do the trick, if trick is required.