Thursday, February 21, 2008

Officialities

Oops, no morning weigh-in! It probably would not have been good though, since I had a big, big dinner.
 
Lonely Little Onion In A Petunia Patch: Got in a spinning class right after work yesterday, down at Everybody's. I haven't taken a spin class in maybe two years but it was like I'd never missed a beat: the instructor was Kim H, and while the music was contemporary the workout was very familiar, very "Kim." One thing is different though, I don't think spinning might be much of a "guy thing" anymore, as I was the only dude in the class.
 
One other difference was how much stronger I felt, and how much easier the class was than it used to be. Time usually used to drag in there, and my ass would be dragging too by the end, but last night things really seemed to breeze right along. (Running on the treadmill the other day, I noticed a similar thing: I ran just over a mile, and cruised it at a speed of 8.5 mph, two mph higher than my usual "cruising speed," and one mph faster than what's usually a hard pace. It may just be a mini-peak, but I think my cardio fitness may be coming along a little better than I realized.)
 
Point Of Parliamentary Procedure: After that was the Chain Gang meeting, at D&L's house -- that's where I ate too much. Fatoush and other middle eastern salads, chicken kabobs in pitas, gummi worms for dessert, and of course beer... The meeting itself was a bit spirited; I think most people went there expecting -- and planning to participate in -- a confrontation. (Two meetings ago we proposed a membership requirement, that members had to participate in one ride or event, one meeting, and one trailwork session every year to remain a member. That seemed to have struck a nerve with a lot of members, and at the January meeting it passed -- unanimously, with one abstention -- over the strong objection of one member. That member recently stated his intention to get the new rule overturned at last night's meeting.) Basically the new rule still stands, no one's opinion really changed on either side, but there definitely was a lot of back and forth, a lot of clearing of the air, maybe a few bruised egos... We're all friends, and hopefully we all still are, but that doesn't mean we'll always agree -- and since this is our passion, our disagreements will also tend to be passionate.
 
It's Official:  Got home, checked my mail, and found a message from Which Brew owner Kelly Jo. There have been rumors, but this made it official: their landlord did not renew the lease, so Which Brew will have to relocate -- and they do not yet have any prospective new locations. I expect at least a temporary closure, probably for the summer if not forever. That totally sucks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're the only guy in the spinning class????? What could be more ideal? Shhhhhh. Don't tell any of the other guys about it, or you may have to share the wealth.

I know how much Which Brew means to you, so I'm really sorry to hear the landlord didn't renew the lease. Hopefully, they won't close altogether but will find an even better location.....one that's still convenient to you. Meanwhile, you're right......it does suck.

Glad your meeting went well, and I definitely hope you're all still friends.

Don said...

Hey Ladies!I don't know, it sounds cool but I sometimes ran into this in yoga class: you end up feeling totally out of place, like maybe you just accidentally walked into the ladies' room or something.

I'm still working to wrap my head around the Which Brew news.