Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Heartsong Consumer Galvanic Reaction

Morning weigh-in: 165.5#, 10.5% BF
 
Advent, or A Silent Extinction Beyond The Zero: I noticed the other day that Christmas decorations were going up downtown, though there weren't any on Sand Island Friday night (all lights were off down there). I really like that city/town feel in winter, and especially that Christmas excitement, but then again I usually avoid the malls and places like that, see no TV advertisements, don't listen to the bullshit radio stations etc... The standard joke is that Xmas Season starts the day after Columbus Day, but there's more than a grain of truth in there. The less people care about the hype, the more desperate and strident the hype becomes, chasing a response that has long since faded away. Transmarginal, ultraparadoxical, it's like beating a dead horse, or maybe just shocking the frog's legs for one last twitch... Anyway, and maybe it's my own conditioning, I still like the Christmas lights.
 
Reloaded: Yeah I guess everything's beginning to look like Gravity's Rainbow, again.
 
RIP Norman Mailer: Take it away, Roy.
 
Yoga last night, and tonight is the gym (after working late here). I need to make my entry for Saturday's chili contest, so tonight is shopping.
 
"Our hearts were singing, it felt like Christmas Time." -- The Pretenders

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like the "hype" either & have to really resist being caught up in the shopping craze of "best sale of the year" ads.
I love the lights & the beautiful decorated trees if the decorations aren't tasteless.
It's the winter ritual- helps get through the cold season.
My memories are rekindled and sentiments flow.
I used to love Midnight Mass and the choir singing hymns and Christmas songs & church being all decorated with pointsettias and evergreens. It was magical & mystical to me.

Anonymous said...

Okay, call me crazy; but the interior of our home is now fully decorated for Christmas. Since it takes me several days to do, being the meticulous fanatic that I am, I put my interior decorations up early. I want to enjoy the fruits of my labor as long as possible. AND, I, too, enjoy the lights, which definitely perk up winter blues. And, Mrs. K, I work hard at keeping everything tastefully done. ;-)

Next comes the outside decorating, but I'm waiting for a warm day. Hopefully, that day will come sooner rather than later. I'd like to be able to turn the outside lighting on for Thanksgiving. I'm already pissed because one outside decoration isn't working. As each one takes a turn at no longer working, our exterior decorations will become fewer, until there are only icicle lights left. It's too big an investment to keep replacing them, and their life span seems to be very short.

We seemed to start a trend in our development last year, decorating outside with net lights, icicles, lighted Christmas trees, Christmas bells and lots of pyramids of lighted 3-D packages. It really was pretty. Once we put out the packages, it seemed all the neighbors, who had already decorated, went out to buy lighted packages to add to their outside decor. Copy cats!

I enjoyed "Roy's" post, Don...at least the part about conservatives.

BTW, we filled our tanks two weekends ago at the Hess station on Memorial Pkwy for $2.73/gal....a real bargain compared to what we've seen in PA.
Word has it that gas prices will hit $5/gal. by next Memorial Day, and rumor has it that's where the price will stay.