Monday, May 08, 2006

Moving Forward

Just got off the phone with the Critical Care people in Philly: I am not constrained by Medicare rules, which require me to be home-bound to be eligible for home nurse care; I in fact, am supposed to get a home nurse to clean the PICC line and do bloodwork on a weekly basis, and my insurance is fine with that whether I'm bedridden, house-bound or going to work...

Meantime, you'll all be happy to know that I finally bathed, for the first time (for a real bath/shower) since last Wednesday -- been living on hospital sponge baths and at-home Baby Wipes, but they can only do so much. I probably had some ordinary funk going on, but last night I started with that "sick old man" smell that I associate with the ecxema (the skin problems came back hard, especially on the unbroken leg, which spent the hospital visit sweating away in a pressure collar), and which fills me with fear and loathing. I had a nightmare last night that I had mold growing on my torso... Anyway, good experiment, since I have to figure the best way to bathe without getting either my left foot or my right arm wet.

Next up in the grooming department is the beard, which is getting long and a bit scraggly. I have to go out, get some medical supplies like bandages and a thermometer, so I may just pick up a beard trimmer while I'm out.

No comments: