Friday, February 25, 2005

Codeine

Morning weigh-in: 177.5#, 6.5% BF

Totally out of it, tired & groggy, not my usual quick-witted self the past few days. It may just be the germs beating me up, but I looked at the cough medicine and -- surprise! -- it contains codeine. So actually, I may still be coughing at night, I'm just too doped up to realize it...

My friend Brian is a 7th grade teacher, and he told me the other day about a girl they had to send to the hospital, after she claimed she ate a whole bottle of some pills. They didn't really believe her but could take no chances; and it turned out to be a false alarm. Brian said he was trying to get her to 'fess up, told her how not-fun it would be to get her stomach pumped.

That reminded me of the story about when my brother Kevin and I were toddlers, and we (him, mostly) ate a bottle of "batman pills," otherwise know as aspirin. The story as told to Brian was mostly about how he had to get his stomach pumped, because he was too stubborn to drink the ipecac or let the nurse make him gag with a tongue depressor, but I'm thinking now about this cough syrup , how purple it is and how grapey good it tastes, wouldn't you want something this potentially dangerous to taste at least a little bit nasty?

Don, you're turning into a prude.

No comments: