Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Procrastination FTW

Back when I did that header calculation program, I needed some routine that would do linear interpolation of stress values based on values stored in a database. My eventual solution at the time was to use a function within the C program itself to get the values from the database and do the interpolation, but this bothered me because I thought the database itself should calculate and return the interpolated value. I looked everywhere for how to do this, but found nothing online (other than offers to show me how for a fee).

Then Monday came, with a nice sunny afternoon (perfect for a bike ride), and my accounting class final looming, and a thousand other chores crowding in on me, and I sat down and learned how to write stored procedures for MySQL, then wrote a linear interpolation function.

So once again, I solved a fairly trivial, non-problem problem, simply by having more urgent tasks on hand to blow off. The function works great, too.

No comments: