Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tuesday Snow

So the Sunday snow morphed into a "wintry mix" as expected. I drove in yesterday and the roads were pretty icy, especially the side streets, but things got a lot better as the temperature climbed and the mess turned to plain rain and wet roads. My carpool buddy asked if I wanted to drive today, since we were expecting more snow -- a real snowstorm this time even if accumulation wouldn't be much -- and I was fine with that, I prefer my own car, and my own driving, to his in this weather. But then...

We both started smelling a car burning oil on the way home. I thought it was the car ahead of me, then some other car ahead of me, but no, it was me. Got home, checked the oil, and there was none. Uh oh...  Googling gave me a bad case of car-hypochondria, and I took today off to bring it in to the shop.

Just got the the estimate. Basically everything I was worried about came true: Subaru's do tend to develop oil leaks over time, and mine got pretty much all the ones my old Outback had (rear main seal, oil pump, head gasket), except all at once instead of happening over a period of years. Bottom line: $2500. Ouch! I'll take the hit this time, the rest of the car seems OK, but I guess I'll have to start thinking about a replacement sooner than I expected.

The snowfall had slowed a bit, but now it looks like it's picking up again. Sure wish I had a car that would drive through this stuff right now...

No comments: