Thursday, November 01, 2012

Frankenstorm Apocalyptipalooza

Right now I'm sitting in the Bethlehem Public Library. At home we've been without power (and heat, and Internet) since Monday night; sleeping's not so bad but the house can be a bit cold (and dark) for hanging out. Luckily the stove works, though not the oven, and we have hot water -- we've been eating like kings and taking nice hot showers -- as well as a house full of books, but Cabin Fever set in days ago... (It doesn't help that what I'm reading is James Howard Kunstler's The Geography of Nowhere.)

Even so, I've seen the pictures of NYC and the Jersey Shore, and even some of the local damage around here that managed to miss us, and I think we got off pretty lucky: some spoiled food and a few roof slates.

What else s new? Not much! I hate to say it, but I seem to be running out of things to say here. Let's see:

Before we lost electricity I got back into that GRAMPS software, and I'm filling in my mother's side of my family tree; I've been using my cousin Joanne's comprehensive family tree for a reference, so even though I don't have much biographical information yet -- birth/death dates (other than the year it happened), marriage dates, home addresses and schools and jobs and churches etc, I have most of the names and relationships filled in to about four generations back, and all descendants from that point. My mom's family is larger, and much more complicated, than my dad's, so this is a good, and non-trivial, first step.

In the last few weeks I did three good adventure rides: two on the American Standard at Jim Thorpe, and one at R.B. Winter State Park. The first JT ride was a "no GPS allowed" ride on some new trails (dubbed "Young American"), a huge ride with thirty one riders. The next weekend my friend Joe wanted to e photo ops, so we went back and did the east side of Broad Mountain, stopping at the overlooks to take pictures, then did a little exploring to find those new trails. Both rides were 20+ miles of solid MTB.

The weekend before last was the annual trip out to R.B. Winter for the Cowbell Hollow ride: 100 or more miles driving to the trailhead, then 28 miles of mixed singletrack and jeep roads before the return trip. I did it with Mark W, a VMB cohort, th only one I could get to go with me, and I don't think he'll ever do it again -- I think this kind of riding is not as popular as it once was.

It might be a while before any more big rides, based on the reports coming in of how the local trails fared in the storm (not well). Lots of cleanup and repair for everyone in the coming months.

No comments: