Friday, January 21, 2011

Doc Melhorn Continues His Ascent To Heaven

I'm not going anywhere near a scale for a few days, but wow that was one tasty meal list night!  We (me, Anne, Deb, Donna, and Emily) did the Black Forest Deli's 5-course Russian dinner, something they do every Thursday night.  Things started with a bunch of appetizers -- mostly things like chicken salad, beet salad, little servings of potatoes, fried liver, smoked trout, and the like -- then continued with two kinds of pierogi, borscht, and two kinds of chicken for the main course; things finished with blintzes stuffed with farmer's cheese.  We were worried by the time appetizers were over, and stuffed & working hard to finish by the end of the main course, but we all found room for that dessert...
 
The whole evening was fun, a good time with great company, and then we parted company;  Anne and I were close enough to walk, and the snow was just starting to fall, a perfect end to the night.  Until... we were almost home when I got a text: Doug & Lori were at Brew Works if we wanted to join them, so we continued past the house and on to Main Street. Awesome, and then more awesome!  Anne had the "Aggressive," the latest hoppy offering, and I sampled the new "Insidious," a strong porter much like the one we just brewed, then after that and some conversation we called it a night.  We got home around 11:00.
 
Beautiful morning ride in today, and the second day in a row I drove into the sunrise while listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor.  New snow (great except for not-very-bright drivers in town), pink and orange clouds, all glory and solar towers and "The Gathering Storm" playing full blast as I blasted over the hills on I-78.  It kind of reminded me of my drives to Slatyfork; I would put that song on as I drove west from Harrisonburg VA, over the mountain into West Virginia. If people drove to Heaven like Doc Melhorn, that's the road they would take and the song they'd hear.

No comments: