Saturday, May 01, 2010

Slacker

Morning weigh-in: 173#, 12% BF (wow)

I'm at Wired Cafe. I'd made a bowl of quinua flakes for breakfast but I was out of coffee at home, so I cleaned up and headed downtown, where I saw Joe G and his dogs outside the cafe, hung with him for a bit. (The summer scene on Main Street is definitely rebuilding itself, Army Jay just walked in.) It's a beautiful day, sunny and hot, and the walk up was really nice with the warm sun on my feet -- busted out the Tevas; now I'm sitting inside like a mushroom, but I'll be done here soon: got a morning mug or three, and bought half a pound of beans for home. (By the way, it looks like they're almost ready to open that Kenyan restaurant in the back, and the menu looks awesome. I can't wait!)

Rode last night at Sals, but it was a terrible night: I rode like shit, hooked up with some friends (Eric & Jaime) but I was way off the back, and I was truly hurting on anything in the least bit difficult. I don't mind being behind, I am usually nowhere near the front in the first 10 miles anyway, but last night, if there were more than 10 miles to ride I don't think I would have even made it to mile eleven...

Possible causes? Well, my lungs were full of butter from all the springtime plant activity, and that radical drop in weight might indicate nutritional issues, but I think the real problem is that I have been doing too much lately, with too many workout days in a row even if it's not all biking. So, today I am taking off completely, no yoga or trailwork or anything like that. With any luck I'll be at least somewhat recovered before tomorrow's race at Michaux -- I only hope yesterday was not some foreshadowing for tomorrow's wake-up call.

Anyway, we hit Tulum for dinner, then Doug & I went later to the Bookstore where we saw a neat old-timey kind of band (Midnight Society?) playing a sort of ragtime-like "hot jazz." We seemed to have bumped into a new subculture there too, lots of folks were wearing vintage clothes: suits with bow ties, and dresses from the thirties and forties. The band was dressed that way, but most bands there go heavy on speakeasy-era clothes/music; maybe these people were fans, or maybe it's the new thing over there, I don't know. Maybe we'll see tonight when we go back -- Doug's leading a VMB ride at Fell Mountain today, then there's a movie at Cutters Bike Shop tonight, and I think people are heading over to the Bookstore afterward. Sweet! I just have to make sure it's an early night.

Whelp, I'm almost out of here. My next task is laundry, then I am off to buy a birdbath before starting to prep for tomorrow.

1 comment:

HMK said...

Have a good ride!