Tuesday, January 06, 2009

It's Like I Never Left

Well, I'm back at work, starting yesterday after about three weeks off. Pretty ordinary back-to-work days so far, mostly what I expected.
 
Movie Review: We saw Milk Sunday night, at the 19th Street Theater with Doug & Lori. It was very well done, and the acting was awesome (especially Sean Penn), but it sure wasn't a feel-good movie. (And once again, I managed to see a real downer at the 19th St Theater.) Still, it comes with my recommendation.
 
Trail Review: Things might be a little different after tonight's "wintry mix," but I think the trails at Sals have never been more fun than they've been in the past week. I rode there multiple times including New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, once or twice before that, and also on Sunday when local pros Jay Dejesus and Rob Lichtenwalner held a skills seminar there. Bonus: Anne checked out the seminar as well! She rode there in maybe September, on what must have been her third time on a mountain bike, and was not sure she liked or was confident on those trails. But this -- along with her new, more properly-sized handlebar -- was exactly what the doctor ordered: plenty of people, of all ability levels including her own (she was mid-pack), learning what works and what doesn't in a "just for fun" environment.
 
Last night was yoga, and tonight is a towpath ride, in fact my first training ride of the year, Workout Number One in Week One of my first "base" training period. My goal: once again, I am aiming at a sub-ten-hour finish at the Wilderness 101. If I start now and keep to the plan I've come up with, I should hopefully see some major improvements this year.
 
(By the way, the positional vertigo is back.)
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time flies when you're having fun, huh?

MILK previews looked very good, and I hope we get the chance to see it. We liked BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS, despite being able to predict the ending. I'm in the minority re MAMA MIA. All the other women I talked to liked it so much they're buying their own copy, but I didn't enjoy it. EVERYONE (or EVERYBODY) WANTS TO BE ITALIAN sucked......waste of time and money. DOUBT previews looked interesting. I'm curious (no pun intended) about the BENJAMIN BUTTONS movie. From what I've read, 50% love it; and 50% didn't. Maybe I'll get a chance to judge for myself.

Sorry about the vertigo. I have frequent bouts with it myself, which I think are a direct result of constant sinus problems.

Good luck with the training.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Get the sinuses checked out or washed out to relieve the vertigo.
So sorry you have it.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mrs. K. Don't know if your response was directed to Don or me; but, just in case it was to me, I want to thank you for your concern. Sinus problems have been with me for many years, no matter what the season. I'm thinking maybe it's time to get out the Netti (sp.?) pot again. Happy New Year to you and Mr. K.

Anonymous said...

Hi Toni!
Happy New Year!
What's the Netti pot?
H

Anonymous said...

Mine is a small, plastic thing that sort of resembles a genie's lamp. Into it you put kosher salt (or the pre-measured packet of Neti Pot salt that came with it) and warm water to dissolve the salt. You insert the spout into your upper nostril and let the salt solution flow out your lower nostril. (It can drain out your mouth if your forehead isn't in relation to your chin, in which case you have to re-adjust your head.) Supposedly, it cleanses the sinus cavity, although I can't say it always works for me...AND, although I swear I follow the directions, it can burn like the dickens, causing me to add less salt than the instructions say.
There are those people who swear by it.

Don said...

I totally rock the neti pot -- I love that thing! Meantime, I have a cold, but it'll be gone in a few days.