Monday, April 21, 2008

Taste The Warm Wet Life

Morning weigh-in: 166#, 9% BF
 
Somewhere in Idoru the protagonist sees a Japanese soft drink, apple juice of some kind with "Taste the Warm Wet Life In [whatever brand apple juice]!" as its catchphrase. That was the frame for a flashback to his previous job, as a spy/analyst for some entertainment network (he had an uncanny knack for finding info through traces left in credit records, Internet searches etc): he had discovered the identity of some entertainer's young mistress, and, through her record purchases, realized she knew she was being watched, and was about to kill herself -- he rushed to her home, but was too late to stop her. (This was the incident that got him fired.) The girl's name was Alison Shires, and he thought "Taste The Warm Wet Life In Alison Shires."
 
Anyway, I was in McDonald's yesterday morning, running late and I needed some kind of breakfast. I couldn't help but notice how broken and defeated the workers there seemed, all stooped and overweight and shambling about like sleepwalkers -- and all the while some Disneyesque pop song played, Mariah Carey or similar made-for-TV hottie. These looked to me like two sides of the same coin, and the phrase "Taste The Warm Wet Life" popped into my head.
 
The Madness Of My Need: I am trying to track down a bike store that has the fork I want in stock. I can't believe no one has it, it's driving me nuts.
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fork! A fork! My kingdom for a fork! And now you have one, so all is right with the world; and your life is still the opposite of suck.

You guys have a wonderful....and SAFE....time down there. Anyone taking along a computer this time, or do we get a condensed version of the trip when you get back?

Don said...

No we'll be incommunicado for the duration, except for old technology like cell phones -- but that's soooo 2005! I'm sure we'll have fun though.