Tuesday, March 18, 2008

We Walked Him To The Station In The Rain

Morning weigh-in (Monday): 167#, 10% BF
Morning weigh-in (Tuesday): 167#, 8.5% BF

Well Happy (Belated) Saint Patrick's Day! I actually wore  a green shirt yesterday, though not that horrible "Shamrock Shake" / "Fighting Irish" green, which I happen to loathe...
 
Anyway.
 
I got in a really good towpath ride with Larry on Friday: normally we just go out towards Bethlehem and turn around after an hour of riding, but this time we  we managed to get to my official turnaround point at Sand Island before the hour was up, and finished the entire ride in under two hours -- a personal best for him -- despite some serious headwinds on the way back. We were cruising.
 
Which Brew that night for a bit of corned beef & cabbage, and I also caught the Skulldiggers there, who played songs that actually caused people (OK, one dude) to do a jig. Hanging with Heath and Hans, and also Larry, and a friend of his (who also rides), then along comes Arnie (road), and Rian (road and MTB), and the guy doing the jig starts talking about RAGBRAI and Snowshoe... I joked that one day we're all going to compare notes and find that everyone there bikes, it's a biker bar! -- and Bill's girlfriend, sitting next to us, goes "Oh, you guys bicycle too?"
 
Saturday was the usual: yoga, coffee, gym, errands. (I also hit Bethlehem for a haircut, grabbed lunch and then bought sneakers.) I happened to see Doug & Lori downtown, wished him a happy birthday because I wouldn't be there for the celebration -- I went to Joe G's party that night, a combined St Patty's Day and "check out my new house" party (I posted a few pics). Nice place in the Poconos, nearest town is probably Effort, and yes there was more corned beef and cabbage involved.
 
Sunday I slept in for the rainy morning, then had brunch at the Quadrant. Chores, laundry, a towpath ride later in the day... I stopped in to Porters for dinner, and jammed out to the Pogues while the laundry dried.
 
Yesterday was a bit of a disappointment: I wanted to see a band at that Christian's Spring Hotel, but with a name like Coffin Daggers they sounded a like a bit of a late night. So, I hit Which Brew for dinner (last night's topic of conversation being free software and computer security), then trekked over to the show around 10:30 -- and the show was over! The place was crowded too, like the show just ended, and friends who I saw at Which Brew earlier were there on the porch leaving as I arrived. I was so disappointed I went to Porters, to at least catch some Irish music (and Irish beer) in an Irish-style pub, and saw those same people there too. (The Guinness doesn't count, but between the corned beef and the music I think I've re-established my connection to the ol' cultural roots for another year -- and the secret to being a bore is to tell all.)
 
Tonight is the gym, then I'm bringing my bike (packed last night before Which Brew) to Rich's to be shipped out west. Vacation's coming...
 

No comments: