Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Frustrated!

Morning weigh-in: 166.5, 8% BF
 
Well I got the stuff I needed yesterday, so I took a rest day and did some bike maintenance. New cassette in the back, new chain, new rear shifter cables, and new front derailleur. Everything went well except the derailleur... I expected a few problems; installing and adjusting a front derailleur is kind of a black art, and one I have not practiced lately since the old derailleur lasted seven years, but: I took it out of the box and it was the wrong type (it'll probably work anyway), it was missing a bolt and the bolt from the old one didn't fit (I found a spare in the shed), and finally I had problems getting it to shift correctly -- in other words I finally got to the Square One of Black Art that I expected. Loosen things up, make slight adjustment, tighten everything back down, test the shifting in the repair stand, try it while riding up and down the alley, say a few choice cuss words, repeat ad nauseum...
 
Didn't get it to work. I'll be messing with it again tonight, before and after yoga, but after about three hours last night I just decided to put it away, and was so frustrated I didn't want to cook anything healthy -- I wanted comfort food. Dinner was at Which Brew.
 
Won't You Be My Neighbor? I got there around 9:30, and got a burger and a beer. It was a bit crowded at first, last remnants of the true dinner crowd, but it thinned out fairly quickly after 10:00 or so. Hanging out with Christina on my left (I think that's her name, she was drawing something she called "sacred geometry"), Dave to my right (another engineer, he took off then came back to show off his new puppies to the cook -- all the girls there are total "dog people"), Kateryna tending bar, and her boyfriend hanging out to give her a lift home. It's a world I know, and there were good conversations on all sorts of subjects going on. I kind of realized it's more than just my neighborhood bar, that place is really my ... neighborhood.
 
Anyway, tonight is yoga, dinner will be a turkey sub, and I will most likely be riding up and down the alley, wrenching, and cussing under my breath deep into the night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your frustration. Hope you can get it working properly soon.
You have lots of friends who might be able to help.....either with advice or a new bolt.....or whatever. Good luck.

Don said...

All is well, see my latest post.