Friday, March 07, 2008

Back In The Game

Morning weigh-in: 165.5#, 10% BF
 
I think the pig might have left the python... Actually, the drop in weight is probably more like "suppression weight loss," though I made a conscious effort to stay hydrated yesterday.
 
Gym immediately after work, starting with a run (two un-timed but slow miles outdoors, maybe 20 minutes, in shorts & tee shirt, in daylight) and finishing with the alterna-workout. Saw Janna, wife of faithful reader Eric B, after the class she taught. At first I thought it was yoga because everyone went in with yoga mats, but apparently it was some ab workout. One hour of abs, better you than me... Also saw Vi, who took the class.
 
Dinner was leftover pot roast. I probably have one more day's worth of food in there, but I'm meeting Greg M for dinner at Porter's tonight after my ride.
 
That's The Name Of The Game: Yes I am back in the game, but the game is really called "spend money on the bike(s)," or rater maybe spend a lot of money but do it efficiently. Back when I was racing/training seriously, I'd have to replace the entire drivetrain at least twice a season (on the mountain bike), and I'd burn through tires in a matter of weeks. I was smart enough to keep a small inventory of spares, and had "preferred customer" accounts at several mail-order bike stores, discounts, free shipping upgrades etc.
 
A Conversation at a Race, maybe last year:
DON: Wow it's good to see you guys, where have you all been?
OTHER RACERS: We've been here the whole time, you're the one that left...
 
Riding with my friend Joe last weekend, I noticed him eating these sort of energy jellybeans. I'd tried them last year and liked some of them, but complained to him that I had trouble finding the flavor I liked at local stores (not everyone carries them). He was like "You can get them from Performance.com. I have the preferred membership; you could probably sign up for that, and with free shipping and the discounts that purchase alone would be worth it." You know, I used to know that.
 
Buying some components today, I want to get the bike ready for Moab, which is coming up faster than I realize.
 
 

No comments: