Sunday, November 18, 2007

What I Did Saturday


Sandy: More Cooking
Originally uploaded by donXfive.
A scene from later in the evening, at Beth & Kevin's "13th Annual Chili Ride And Contest." We rode at Allamuchy, then went back to their place for the party and contest. This girl wins almost every year -- my chili was a bit experimental this time; I didn't expect it to win, and things worked out pretty much as I expected...

By the way, the girl in the green jacket is Laurie G, haven't seen her in years. She and her husband Bill used to do a lot of adventure races, then maybe 8-10 years ago they were rappelling off cliffs near the Water Gap when a rock broke free and fell, crushing her arm. She very nearly bled to death -- Bill climbed up the rope, got her & climbed down, carried her to I-80 & flagged down a car, and rushed her to a hospital. (Basically he saved her life by being Superman.) She spent several months with the arm sewn inside her abdomen while all the nerves & veins healed, had many operations but they saved the arm. There was actually a TV movie made about their story... Anyway, I guess that kind of slowed them down a bit, they now have two kids.

By the way, I have more photos from the party here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an incredible story of heroism, courage & love.
I can't imagine what Laurie had to endure while she recovered & healed.
Yes, Virginia, there really is a Superman.

Don said...

That's exactly why it was on TV! I remember seeing her now & again at say, Lewis Morris or Allamuchy, where she'd come to watch her friends race. It was more than a year later sand she was still in a cast, zonked from painkillers... She/they gutted their way through hell.