Friday, May 04, 2007

Lux Vomica (or, Thin Is In)

Morning weigh-in: 177#, 8.5% BF

Stupid hard ride yesterday with my friend Joe at Round Valley. He's way faster than I am, and I basically I came home crushed. Torched my lungs, I even vomited in the parking lot at the halfway point.

The ride was hard, but that wasn't the real problem. This is more of that early-spring postnasal drip thing, which dries and hardens in my throat and lungs, making me cough so hard I eventually gag. I went without my medicine yesterday: the Mucinex which thins everything out and dries up my sinuses, and the Astelin which keeps the passages open, and without them I had some serious problems riding. Well, now I know, I learned my lesson -- once again...

Tonight is the towpath, tomorrow is a rest day and Sunday I am racing Michaux. I will be taking my pills and spray with me. Gotta keep the lungs clear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good lord! I was practically gagging FOR you when I read this. I have sinus problems that affect my nasal area but not so much my lungs. Add a deviated septum, and I have real breathing problems, particularly during sleeping hours. I can't use just any meds., due to glaucoma issues.

Maybe you should keep a set of meds. with your biking gear as well as at home, so you're never without. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Don I understand how hard that is.
That's why I had 3 sinus surgeries- but in Spring PN drip still gags me when I lie down to sleep.

I never had the lung/asthma problem but know how bad you can get.

Take your meds and settle down before the Michaux ride.
Good luck in the race!