Thursday, August 11, 2005

Mason and Dixon and Michaux, Oh My!

Well, let's see... ride days three and four...

I brough two books to read during any downtime: Cloud Atlas because I'm rereading it, and Mason & Dixon, uh, because I'm obsessed. (I was going to bring Blood Meridian to get in the mood for Cormack McCarthy's new No Country for the Old, but I forgot to pack it. Also forgot soap.) At the Scout camp I put CA to one side to read M&D, since the next day we'd be crossing repeatedly between Maryland & Pennsylvania -- couldn't see the line, no real landmarks on those rurual roads -- you'd just notice the road signs were PA-style, then a little later they'd be MD-style, etc. Another hard day of riding, another 100+ miles.

That night at dinner I wore the latest Michaux race shirt, since we'd be going up PA233, right through the middle of Michaux, from Caledonia State Park through Pine Grove Furnace and continuing on. This was, after the Skyline Drive, my favorite part of the whole ride: beautiful, and very cool, almost chilly temps from all the springs and roadside streams. As usual, the ride got much much tougher after lunch.

Back in the real world: I still have numbness in my left hand fingertips, will see a doctor about it. Went out last night to Which Brew (Mug Club Night), may check out MusikFest tonight.

No comments: