Tuesday, May 10, 2005

The PPRAC Crew Outside Wal-Mart


The PPRAC Crew Outside Wal-Mart
Originally uploaded by donXfive.
Morning Weigh-in: 177.5#, 13% BF

Here I am flanked by Brian and Janna at Saturday's Wal-Mart fundraiser. Seeing Janna was a pleasant surprise -- very pleasant, also very much a surprise because she wasn't due to move back from Hawaii for another few weeks...

By the way, here's a quick recap of the weekend:

Friday I blew off the towpath ride, sort of expected it to rain (it didn't). I took the time to install the new TruVativ cranks (btw, Thursday night was a visit to Joe C's to remove the old bottom bracket), also the new chain and cassette. After that I went out to WB & met Brian for dinner. He left after that but I was digging the music, took a seat at the bar. Very unusual evening after that: some old guy there, possibly gay -- not forthright either, but that old-style whiny insinuating type -- but definitely drunk, suddenly started blubbering over a friend who'd recently died of cancer (and whose dogs he'd inherited). Guy looked exactly like the actor who played The Riddler on Batman.

Saturday was the PPRAC fundraiser at Wal-Mart: me, Brian, and Kris R, with guest apearances by Kris's dad, Greg & Judy, and Eric & Janna to help out. Four hours on trainers, working the crowd for spare change -- we got everything from change, including pennies, to fives tens and twenties, probably raised more than $500. One long extended sociology experiment...

Saturday night was late, because after Wal-Mart I passed out for a few hours. I went down to Which Brew for dinner, ran into this dude Tom who is getting into MTB racing and triathlons (the guy is my age but he's hungry, he wants to win), then the guy next to us thought we were talking motorcycles and started talking about Unadilla, which segued into a conversation about crazy times at van-ins -- and then Vince came in on a skateboard, with Pete on a longboard. All in all, a very interesting crowd.

Sunday was Mother's Day, but I screwed up the planning phase so I had the day to myself. I rode downtown on the Turner, got breakfast at Coffee Works, then rode the towpath to the Salisbury trail system in Bethlehem. On the way I saw Kris on her "long run" for marathon training (she's racing in Burlington), with Judy on MTB and Janna running alongside. I was pretty tired at Sals at first, but stopped to eat and enjoy the view, and Eric R (Kris's Eric) rode up. We rode together from there, but he was going over to Lehigh afterward and I just wanted to cruise home... I had 40.58 miles for the day, maybe six hours chamois time. All new compnents are working OK.

Last night I did the towpath again, good time though nowhere near my best: 23 miles in 1:40 or maybe a little less, should be less than 1:30. Got home, did laundry, then got a real hankering for a "Flatiron Steak Sandwich" at Porters, so off I went. So much for those burned calories... Tonight will be the gym.

No comments: