Friday, January 28, 2005

Friday And My Weekend's Already Come And Gone

Morning weigh-in: 181#, 8.5% BF

Went to the gym last night, again getting there a little late and again running out of time before I ran out of exercises... I got there a little after 7:00, and I was doing alright, on schedule up until about 8:00 when the yoga class got out. My friend Violetta had taken the class, saw me on the way out, and engaged me in conversation -- something she's very very good at! Twenty minutes of talking about Alaska, bikes, health & finances, just enough time to put me in the hole & I didn't quite dig out. She used to be a member of the health club, quit and now has re-joined; I guess I'll have to relearn my "friendly but short gym greetings" technique.

After that I went to Which Brew to see Alex Radus play solo. He's half of the duo Duende, and as good as Maria is I've often felt that Alex is the better musician and singer. Last night however, though he was very good, I felt that he was missing something -- like Maria -- to complement and balance his style. (He did have a few guest musicians on stage for one or two songs, and that was good. And in case I've given the wrong impression: the show was fantastic, he sang and played beautifully, and it was definitely worth seeing. I really like those guys, Alex and Maria, and sort of hold them to pretty high standards -- and my "missing something" feeling last night may have been just because I'm too used to hearing the two of them together; someone going in with no preconceptions would have been blown away.)

Anyhoo, when I got to WB the first thing I see is a car stuck on ice trying to get out, one other guy pushing and it's going nowhere. I go over to help and it's Perry's car, he's got about six feet of slightly uphill ice to beat and he'd be on dry pavement, and we just can't get him there... I go inside, recruit another volunteer, turns out he has a 4WD truck and towing chains -- nope, that didn't work either, but Perry was able to roll backwards out of the lot, through the space that the truck dude vacated. Later in the evening, Murph got stuck and we went through a similar drill...

UPDATE: I guess I missed the news, but it looks like Duende broke up. Damn, no wonder the new Year's Eve show ("fifth anniversary of our first gig") was such a big deal, and I had to miss it.

I'm not sure what's up for the weekend yet, but I think I'll be staying in tonight, I'm tired. Next week is the same out-on-a-school-night drill: Wednesday the Democrats for America are having their Meetup at Brew Works, then Laurie Anderson is at Zoellner Arts Center on Thursday.

Just dodged that bullet: unplanned (forced) outage at a power plant near Nashville, they need people to go and take advantage of the unscheduled shutdown to measure a few things. Would I be willing to go this weekend? Uh, yeah (never say no), but then it transpires that a service guy is available and they're sending him. That's good, Nashville is expecting an ice storm, and we know how those can be, just ask Pap Thomas...

No comments: