Monday, February 25, 2008

Regression Weekend Report

Well, as I said earlier, it was a good weekend in terms of night life, though somewhat in the opposite direction to where I want the rest of my life to be going. (I think I am in "get as much Which Brew as you can before it's gone" mode.) Nothing spectacular, just the usual "Which Brew followed by Porters" scene, but it was way fun.
 
Treacherous ice-walk down to Which Brew Friday, where I saw my friend Gary, back from a 6 week vacation on Mexico's Baja Peninsula. I later ended up in a cool conversation with yet another cutie over at Porters (oh man if I were 20 years younger) which caused me to stay up a little later than I expected...
 
I overslept the next morning and missed Saturday morning yoga, but I made it to the gym, then went snowshoeing along the Lehigh in the afternoon. That was beautiful; I took the singletrack on the water's edge from Riverside Park to about where Bad Andy's house is, maybe 4 miles total out and back, and every step was a wonderland. I took pictures (stay tuned), but as always they don't do it justice.
 
Saturday night was "Goth Night with Wrong" at Which Brew, and I was there on foot again. I spend far too much time breathing fresh air and being cheerful to make a very convincing goth, so I just went as myself. Sat between Jason and Dave, yakked with Jason about art & literature, then we all absconded one by one to Porters and ended up sitting together again; I yakked with Dave about girls for the rest of the night. (Disquieting news about a mutual friend who was in a car crash: she wasn't hurt but her car was totaled. A lot of the "bar scene" girls I know are younger, and they are all making a life for themselves on their own terms -- very cool, and more than I can say for myself at that age -- but many of them seem just one or two steps ahead of disaster. Living on the edge, it doesn't take much -- a hospital stay, the loss of a car -- to push you over.)
 
Got up Sunday and did a road ride around town on the mountain bike, just fooling around. Alleyways, stairs, a few pieces of the towpath, I was out for about an hour or so. After that came a trailwork day over at Sals, cutting out a lot of downed trees from the ice storm, plus some miscellaneous brush cutting. Huge crew, maybe fifteen people in all, so we split into 3 or 4 crews to deal with the rather widely-dispersed trouble spots. Lunch/dinner was at JP McGrady's in Bethlehem. Again, huge crowd. Went home, and treated myself to an early bedtime.
 
Tonight I will probably go skiing.
 
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about Witch Brew.
That gas been a big part of your life since moving to Easton.

Don said...

Actually, Which Brew has only been open since 2003. Before that was a year and a half in the wilderness, and before that (say late 1997 until New Year's Day 2002) were the Weyerbacher days.

Before that... well, the story of the nineties for me was the story of my search for a local place to hang out. It was also when i was 145 pounds...

Anonymous said...

I meant "Wilson."
The search for the perfect port.