Monday, August 02, 2004

A Belly Dancer, A Party, & A Very Short Death March

Morning weigh-in: 174.5#, 13% BF

Got up and ran this morning, my (formerly) usual two miles which took me 24 minutes -- a little slower than my 10k target pace of 7:30 per mile. I took it easy though, first time back and it was already hot and muggy. I was a little surprised I got up without a problem, since I slept with the windows open, and the girl down the street had a party. (Parents away? Probably not, but it's a half double, and the people next door just moved out). Nothing major, just a bunch of shouted goodbyes at around midnight, then a few more around 2:00 AM. I notice that the kids on the block are starting to cluster, doing that back-to-school retribalization thang...

Anyway, the weekend:

Friday Night: I rode the towpath after work. I planned on doing a "hot lap" but ran into Joe and Cindy, who were with their dog & so riding relatively slowly. I cut my own ride short and rode with them which was just as well, since I don't think I could have held my pace/effort (I'm not yet recovered from last weekend).
After that I got ready for my evening by wrapping myself in bedsheets. It was Toga Night at Which Brew, with guest-chef Margarita's Greek recipes, togas of course (but we were actually a minority), and even a belly dancer. I met Theresa & her son young Connor there for dinner; he was in tie-dyed sheets & it looked pretty decent, but T's toga was just amazing, easily the best there. She got some fabric and actually made an outfit (complete with wig and cap) that looked like she was an extra in The Robe or something. (She said it was unpleasantly hot though.) She took Conor home and I changed out of my toga, but I only stuck around for the first set of Three Monks.

Saturday: Was my usual "selfish day," but I seemed to be just a little behind schedule all day. Went to the gym & saw Dawn, who peppered me with anxious questions about what I thought of the bear tagging program. Apparently, volunteers have occasionally gotten freaked out about the blood/DNA samples etc... I'm starting to shift towards winter and strength training (I think it may have been a mistake to let the fitness focus be on the bike so much this summer), and Saturday's workout was the first of the new program.

Afterward I stopped by T's, watched The Sandlot (which I thought would be lame but was actually pretty good) and had dinner with her and Connor. The Riglers were having a party, but T had her son and was in for the night, at least in terms of beer blowouts in the woods...

The party, what I remember of it, was great. I ended up sleeping in the Pinkerton's basement. Verrry dangerous to have those foo-foo drinks like Skye Blue or Mike's Hard Lemonade available on a hot day (mandarin orange something-or-other is what got us all)... Joe C calls them "a hangover in a bottle" but I bounced back OK, sort of.

Sunday: We were supposed to ride the Green Blazed Trail in Jim Thorpe, but the morning was very rainy. Doug called me around noon and put together a short ride up at South Mountain. Just him, me and Eric and we were pretty low-key but it was so hot & muggy (and I was still so depleted) that I felt like total death even thought the ride was only about six miles long. Technical riding though, we took maybe three or four hours to do those six miles... I got home and slept for about three hours, then woke up and had a burst of energy until maybe 10:00 PM, got a bunch of chores done.

Tonight I'll probably do a road ride, then hit WB for Mug Night.

No comments: