Friday, June 20, 2008

Solstice Friday!

Morning weigh-in: 165#, 8.5% BF
 
Did my "southern benchmark ride," aka "the hill ride" or "the Hellertown loop with Morvale Rd extension," last night. It was a fairly hot lap, 25 miles in about 1:30, not bad considering the hilly nature of the ride: mile-long climbs followed by mile-long descents, over and over again as the road crosses and re-crosses the hill south of Easton. It's funny how those climbs used to seem like hell. (Saw Scott S, and also Tom A riding in Hellertown, not sure if they were together. They're friends and 24-hour teammates, but Scott was on a road bike, and I could have swore Tom, about a half mile back, was on a mountain bike.)
 
More Full Moon Madness: I almost stacked it on one downhill, when a young rabbit ran into the road, playing chicken with me and an oncoming car -- it came out out part way, stopped, went most of the way across, and then chickened out and crossed back. Trying to avoid it was like one of those Three Stooges routines, I actually touched it with my front wheel. I was doing maybe 35 mph, if I hit it square I would very likely have gone down. Nasty concrete ditch on the roadside there too. Little bit of excitement, in case my heart wasn't pumping enough...
 
Dinner was a roast beef sandwich at Christian's Spring Hotel. Me, Lee, Anne, Judy, and Sally & Joe, the usual crew. We also saw Nick and Alison, but they were mostly keeping to themselves.
 
Tonight (weather permitting) I'll be riding with Larry and maybe Kirk on the towpath, but I am probably staying in after that, since tomorrow is shaping up to be a marathon of fun: Chain Gang ride(s) & picnic at South Mountain, then the last evening of the Southside Film Festival, and finally a Trapdoor concert/party.
 
Bethlehem is the town with its fangs at my throat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did that last comment mea

Don said...

Heh heh don't you wish you knew!

Anonymous said...

Now I do!