Monday, March 03, 2008

Donny Neurosis Sez Fade To White

Morning weigh-in: 166#, 10% BF (A line has been drawn in the sand? Not likely but I'll take the win.)
 
Friday night was the towpath ride, followed by a visit to Which Brew and Porters (on foot, you know the drill). It was snowing, which made for an interesting ride: the snowflakes in my headlamp made it seem like Star Wars or something, until I got sick of not seeing and turned it off. The snow was coming down pretty heavy, and by the river the ground was covered; I thought there was a lot more on the ground because I encountered a lot of rolling resistance, but I think the ground itself was just soft from all the recent freeze/thaw cycles. Very strenuous workout. Walking downtown, I saw that this snowfall would be a bit of a disappointment: it just wasn't sticking, and by the time I walked home it was more like a light rain.
 
Saturday I got up early, but blew off my "selfish day," because it was "VMB day on the slopes" instead at Blue Mountain, where they got a bit more new snow than we did. Arrived 8:30, right on time to meet everybody else, and walked in the lodge only to realize I'd left my wallet home. D'oh! Back in the car, raced home, got it & raced back: I lost an hour, which hurt since I only wanted to be there for the morning session. Oh well, I was there and on the slopes... Did a few runs by myself, then ran into Rudy, who happens to be a ski instructor, and he gave me quite a few pointers especially in the moguls, my arch-nemesis:
 
Rudy: OK, do this, this, this, and especially this. Follow me.
 
Don: Right behind you, I'll just WHAM! CRASH! POW! Tumble tumble floop flap flop.
 
Rudy: Good, good! Now try [whole lotta advice of a much more rudimentary nature]. Like this, follow me.
 
Don: Right behind you, I'll just WHAM! CRASH! POW! Tumble tumble floop flap flop. Wow, that sure was a fun lesson, time to move over there where it's smooth.
 
Rudy: No way! We're sticking with it until you're confident in this stuff!
 
Don (but not out loud): Well I hope you brought food, cause we're gonna be here a while...
 
Poor Rudy! We had some serious fun, and I think I "got it" eventually, but it's not like I'm a tabula rasa: I have years of self-taught bad habits to overcome, on top of my recent years of not skiing.
 
After that we just did a few runs and called it a morning, then did the tailgating scene for a bit before we left, scoping out the hill and trying to guess where they might put in the proposed bicycling trails. The rest of the day was chores/errands, and in the evening I hoofed it back to WB.
 
Sunday morning was a continuation of the chores, car wash etc, then I did a ride with my friend Joe, who was back down in the area to finish moving stuff to his new house. We cruised & schmoozed, not exactly a fast pace (though faster than two weekends ago), and maybe 35 miles total. I had plans and was meeting people after the ride, so of course I got a flat about a mile from home, which took me from "pressed for time but essentially OK" to "late."
 
Last night was the Banff Mountain Film Festival, and instead of meeting my friends beforehand I called and arranged to meet them there. Doug & Lori, Eric and Janna, Kris and Eric, Brian & some speed-skater friends of his, pretty big crew and I saw others there I knew as well. (Shout-out to my lurkers: Hi Doug! Hi Eric! Check out my recent photos Eric, there's a good one of you.) Lotta good films, plus a few not-so-good which is par for the course, but there was one scene in a ski video with a contre-jour shot of a ramp: the sun peeked out from behind the snow, and they used the flareout to morph into a sudden fade to white. It went with the music and the action in a way that made my night. Don't know why but that was just plain badass.
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you had to take out those bowed branches (one of which you referred to as a "widow maker"), but I have a feeling they were great fun for squirrels. Makes it much easier to go from tree to tree, without having to climb back down from each one.

Your ski story with the "WHAM, CRASH, POW's" had me LOL. It made for a funny visual, which I assume was the purpose. Glad you didn't get hurt.

I'd like to have just half the energy you and your group of friends have.

Don said...

Energy: You're getting a three paragraph synopsis (or photo essay) from the better part of two weekend's worth of fun -- the highlights, if you will. What you don't hear about is the nap I took after skiing, or the one I took after the trailwork day...
Squirrel fun: I don't they have anything to worry about, still plenty of trees up there!