Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Can't You Hear The Alarm Bell Ringing In Your Heart?

Morning weigh-in: 169#, 7% BF (I was hoping for some "pig in a python" action, oh well)

Today is my brother's birthday. Happy Birthday, Kevin! It's also the anniversary of this lovely event.
Ran last night on the treadmill: 10 minutes, 1.23 miles, hit the 1 mile mark at 7:38. After that was a pretty good "standard workout," probably the last of those before I start transitioning into a more endurance-oriented regimen for the bulk of the season.

Dinner was Taco Hell, then came food shopping where I bought the ingredients for tonight's pot roast. This will be another one with a nod toward the old school root crops (parsnips, turnips), aiming for that pot au feu kind of vibe, and a really good if smaller cut of meat.

Can't You Hear The Tocsin In Your Heart? Couple of the younger guys at WB were busting on me for wanting to hear some Patti Smith on Monday night. Philistines, I'll show them... so I put on Horses on the way to work yesterday. Listening to "Gloria," there's a part where she sings:

I was at the stadium
There were twenty thousand girls called their names out to me
Marie and Ruth but to tell you the truth
I didn't hear them I didn't see
I let my eyes rise to the big tower clock
And I heard those bells chiming in my heart
Going ding dong ding dong ding dong ding dong.
Ding dong ding dong ding dong ding dong...

And for some reason that reminded me of the French Revolution. Take it away, Tom. Just reading that again got me all fired up...

Ulysses: Today's ride in was accompanied by Led Zeppelin II. I was totally in the mood to crank "Whole Lotta Love" and hammer US22, but the roads were rainy and congested, and I came to a dead stop, one more nebish commuter in a traffic jam, just as we got to the guitar solo. Damn.

Alarum: I am behind the eight ball in terms of training. Late July seems far away but it's not really, and I really should have put in more miles on the bike by now. This weekend I will probably start getting myself together, and start biking in to work next week. (Back when gasoline was $1.00/gal, I calculated that bike commuting would only make sense economically -- ie the extra time spent would pay off in saved gas money -- when gasoline got up to $4.00/gal. I can and do bike commute for other, non-economic reasons like pleasure or fitness, but this summer I think we'll reach that payoff point.) If I already had the base miles in, I could move up to more intense workouts, but I guess I'll just have to continue climbing that ladder from the rung where I find myself. Tonight is yoga by the way, the more athletic class.

Anyway, that's that, and I will leave you with this. I'll just say that the mind is only a tool, and that guy supposedly had (the outward trappings of) a powerful mind, but one look and you could tell he was all tool.

No comments: