Monday, July 26, 2004

post-race high

Morning weigh-in: 177#, 9.5% BF

Well, it's done, and it's well done too! The Wilderness 101 is over and I think I vindicated myself... results here.

My goal was to have an 8 mph average, which translates into a twelve-and-a-half-hour race. My actual time was 12:28:11, so I just made it. I also beat the two friends that I went with: I was one place ahead of Greg, beating him by less than two minutes (after more than 100 miles of racing), and unfortunately Bob had to drop out after about 60 miles.

The race was great, the course well-designed (the same course as 2002 in fact) and it was in great shape, the weather was ideal, and the rest stop volunteers were literally angels of mercy -- and the post race party was excellent, with beans burgers & beer, prizes etc. Gary's girlfriend Gina took fifth in the women's division, got up on the poduim with the pros & actually won money. Others who were there: Gerry M (Gary's friend) -- who was in the bathroom for the prerace meeting, missed the special instructions re: vandals messing with course markings, and got lost for part of the race -- and also Rob L, who finished in 8:37 and then drove down to Michaux for Sunday's race (yowza).

Speaking of beer: there was some kind of brewfest in State College the same day, and some of the participants (vendors? contestants?) were staying at our motel. When we got back from the race, one group invited us to help them finish their beer, but we were too tired.  Dang! Timing is everything.

Tip of the Day: Hammer Gel is amazingly effective, if you can stomach it.

And in other news: I came home and found T at least as sore as I was -- she was going down the stairs, tripped over her new kitten and tumbled the rest of the way. Yeeeowch!! Bumps, bruises, scrapes on elbows & knees, and a nice shiner. I stopped by her place yesterday (after a good long nap) , caught the end of the Tour.

 

No comments: