Friday, January 23, 2009

Godspeed You, Black Emperor

Morning weigh-in: 174#, 9% BF
 
As I was driving to the gym last night I heard something I couldn't believe: the DJ said words like "Next up, 'Storm' by Godspeed You Black Emperor." That's a long (fifteen minutes at least, but song ends/beginnings are hard to define with these guys), slow and repetitive instrumental -- probably one of my favorite songs, but not exactly radio material, even if it was WPRB. The song is very sad and haunting, but builds in a really beautiful way. I remember listening to it on the way to Slatyfork, driving over the VA/WV border (basically a mountain pass) on US33, it was was like Doc Melhorn driving to Heaven... I pulled into the gym parking lot, and hung out for about 10 minutes listening to the song.
 
The gym workout was pretty easy: light weights, medium reps; I'm calling this a rest week as I've recalibrated the remainder of my training to fit better with my real-life schedule. After that it was over to Porters for dinner with Anne, and also Judy and Donna. Burger, coupla beers, some wings, the results you can see up top.
 
Tonight is a towpath ride, and then we're meeting Josh and Kim at Brew Works.

No comments: