Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Wisdom

Morning weigh-in: 163#, 8.5% BF
 
"Dance on, ye foolish ones; ye sought not wisdom, neither have ye found it." -- Thomas Carlyle, The French Revolution
 
I Fly Towards Grace: Another A++ ride, as Joe put it: 48 miles in 2:36, for an 18.5 mph average. (Our ride the week before was 6 miles shorter in about the same time, but had slightly more climbing -- 2960 feet vs last night's 2900 feet. There's a lesson in there somewhere.) Me, Joe, Greg, Scott and Eric B, we basically did the old Mountain Road route: through Wind Gap and over the mountain, then down Mountain Road to the bottom of Blue and over via Little Gap -- we actually climbed to the ski resort upper parking lot this time -- plus a little backing and filling on the way home. I was a little tired and said so, and a few other guys were talking about "riding smart" and not killing ourselves on the hills etc, but that kind of wisdom only lasts for a little while on Follies Night...
 
A Screaming Comes Across The Sky and it ain't pretty. You'd scream too, like it was the DT's crawling all over you, but Gaia's got a real infestation.
 
Needless to say, after last night's ride I did not feel like biking in this morning. I'll hit yoga tonight and the gym tomorrow; I don't know what's going on for the 4th yet. Dinner last night was a chicken sandwich at Christian Springs (sigh, but I controlled myself, for the most part), and tonight I'll be going down to Bethlehem Brew Works.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

163#??? You're melting away.

Don said...

Believe it or not, back in the "old days" (ie before I started hanging out at Weyerbacher) I was 145-150 pounds, and in the summers before I started racing I'd lose 2 lbs a week no matter what I ate, just from all the riding. I'm kind of surprised -- though I shouldn't be, I still go out -- that my post-Which-Brew weight loss has not been more dramatic.

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but my metabolism slowed down as I got older. I think, at this point, it's dead. If it's any consolation, you weigh less than I...........and I don't know why I'm telling you that, cuz I find it very embarrassing.

I was always so thin.........w/o exercising and w/o dieting (in fact, I always ate everything in sight)........until I hit 52. Then I started becoming someone I didn't recognize any more. I went from someone who could eat anything and everything and not gain, to someone who seemingly gains merely by inhaling the aroma of food.

Be glad you're male. My experience is that my husband can drop weight much easier than I can, and that's the story I hear from most females.

I think you're doing very well.

Don said...

Yeah but we die sooner!

Anonymous said...

Bwaaaaaaahahahahahahaha!!!! You may not have meant that to come across humorously; but, with my sense of humor, it did! I think I know as many widowers as I do widows.......so, it ain't necessarily so. I also think the widowers I know get on with life much more easily after their wives' demise than the widows I know do after their husbands' demise. AND, if that weren't enough, the widowers I know tend to look for a "significant other" (be it for marriage or just companionship) more so than the widows I know.