Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Deep Blue Mountain

Morning weigh-in: 166.5#, 7.5% BF
 
Ran some errands last night, then hit the slopes at Blue Mountain. I go there around 7:15, and got in nine solid runs in just about two hours -- the place was practically empty (except for some racers, terrain park kids, and other hardcore idiots), no lift lines whatsoever. Bitterly cold, low teens, but the sky was beautiful: clear and starry, and an amazing deep blue, with the almost-full moon coming over the mountain. It's been 15 years since I first saw them like that, but there were Orion and Sirius directly in front of me, right where I left them, whenever I took the older lifts.
 
An OLD SKOOL ski lift conversation:
DONNY DON (pointing): Look, the Dog Star!
DONNY DON (different voice): Are you Sirius? (chuckle chuckle chuckle snort...)
CRAZY JOE MCK: What the hell are you talking about?
(Yeah I slay me, and I've been slaying me for a long long time.)
 
Anyway, I was planning to stay until they closed at 10:00, but then remembered that I had no clean clothes -- and no dirty ones either, since my clothes had been washed but not dried -- so I left a little early and did an emergency laundry run. Porters while the clothes dried, punching my mug club card (I have less than 20 beers to go now, to get my new mug). I saw K-Jo there, as well as Kateryna & Eamon, and also Cliff; I sort of kept to myself, just passing through but it was nice to see them. Sports on the TV, bartender Scott was still on a high from Sunday's game.
 
Not sure what I'll be doing for dinner, but I'll be down in Allentown tonight for the Salisbury Township meeting, heading there straight from work. Looks like a battle royale is building over illegal ATV/quad use at Walking Purchase Park, and this meeting might be the opening salvo. Aside from that, I think I'll lay low for a few days: I've got a bit of windburn on the exposed parts of my face right now, and it's making me look like a purplish raccoon.
 
Reading: Male Fantasies is now the bathroom reader, and Matrix Population Models has been moved to the kitchen.
 
Listening: I'm back on a Jason and the Scorchers kick. Don't know why.
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love that 1st Paragraph!