Saturday, October 06, 2007

"We Exist And Thrive At The Mercy Of Others"

Morning weigh-in: 168.5#, 8% BF

Well I'm back, got home last night. Interesting (and fruitful) trip, work part of it went very well. Some other highlights:

1. Flying there, reading Ghostwritten (again!), and occasionally looking out the window to see amazing sights, like the afternoon shadows of Chicago's lakefront skyline spreading across the lake.

2. Climbing around inside the boiler, like a giant set of monkey bars, in pitch darkness.

3. Getting a glass of wine spilled on me at dinner. (Got a free dinner out of it, but big deal -- I was eating on the corporation's dime anyway.)

4. Not one, but two fire alarms that night at the hotel.

5. My luggage taking a different route to Allentown, arriving before me, and being put in storage where they took forever to find it again -- and I still made Last Call at Which Brew.

Date With A Vampire Girl: Went down to the garlic festival today, after breakfast at the coffee shop and a trip to the gym. There was actually a girl dressed as a vampire there, but there was also a bloodmobile -- donor registration was inside the coffee shop. Purely on impulse, I decided to give blood. A few minutes of pleasant conversation with the nice ladies while my blood drained away... Pretty easy, quick & painless, and now I know that my blood pressure (I have long since stopped taking those pills) is 110/70. After that I went out to eat garlic -- protection you know, I'm already a pint low.

The fest was nice, but as always, it seemed a little on the small side.

(By the way, the title of this post is a quote from a VASS brochure I saw at last week's race, basically about how they help people, and we help them.)

Parting shot: A strange and interesting blog.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back

Sounds amazing to "explore" the innards of a boiler!
Did you find what you were investigating?

You were "bewitched" at the bloodmobile!

We're here 6 weeks now- still a lot of unpacking to do.

Anonymous said...

Checked out VT photos- very nice.
Some plush suite!
Beautiful scenery too.
No place too far; no trail too long.

Don said...

Long live long rides!

Meantime, don't post it here but can you email me your new home number? I accidentally erased it.

Don said...

It wasn't "bewitched by the girls" so much as "shamed by the dude," who was running registration inside the coffee shop where I breakfasted -- I couldn't walk out without volunteering...

Anonymous said...

Stiff price for a cup of coffee!