Monday, October 15, 2007

Echinacea Daze Are Here Again

Morning weigh-in: 167.5#, 11.5% BF
 
Yesterday was pretty much a rest day, then later in the afternoon I took a walk at Dunnfield Creek. It was a little too late to go all the way to Sunfish Pond, so I just walked up the hill for an hour, then at the one-hour mark I turned around and came back down. I took some photos of the creek, some of which I may post in the next few days if they came out OK. Tonight is yoga, then I'll have dinner at Porters & catch the game.
 
Sicko: Sometimes in the dead of winter you might miss the warmer weather, conveniently forgetting about the bugs and humidity until summer is a reality again.... part of what's going on with me healthwise may be similar: my body does not like being too skinny, and my disease resistance drops with my weight. I remember being strong and fit, and really fast on the bike when I was 150 pounds, but I forgot about the twice-monthly sinus infections.
 
There is another possibility though, and I think Dawn nailed this one on Saturday. We haven't worked together since I went big with the legs, and on Saturday she's watching me lift, and cough, and blow my nose, and she started asking questions about how many times I do this exact workout per week. Bottom line is, she thinks I'm overdoing it, and told me that if I'm hitting the gym three times a week, then for one of those days I should skip the legs and go light, with alternate exercises, for the upper body. In other words, I was overtraining -- two symptoms of which are rapid weight loss and frequent colds.
 
Kind of a chicken-and-egg thing: back in the day my low weight may not have been the cause of my low resistance, but the low weight and low resistance may both have been caused by the hardcore training I was into. Well whatever, I'm doing now what I did  back then -- echinacea.
 
Femme Fatality: On this date in 1917, Mata Hari was executed by firing squad.
 
 

No comments: