Monday, October 23, 2006

Hey Now

Morning weigh-in: 183#, 13.5% BF

Some catching up: I didn't say anything about this yet, but it looks like my friend/acquaintance Jay is doing much better -- he had bacterial meningitis (super-serious) and was admitted to the hospital last week with acute septic shock. Intensive care, induced coma and life support, they gave him like a 50-50 chance to survive the next few days. That was last week, and he's apparently made an almost miraculous recovery since. He's not out of the woods, or even out of intensive care yet, but it looks like he's going to be OK. You can read more about it here.

Anyway, the weekend...

I met Doug and Lori for diner Friday night at Which Brew, after blowing off my evening towpath ride (I'd rather ride in rain than wind, and it was windy). Nice dinner, cool conversation, and we sat in the front table by the window, a first for me. I also saw a few people from the Haunted Tour, and they talked me into going to the Saturday night show.

Saturday was a "non-gym day" (Dawn's sister is due soon, and the baby shower was yesterday) so I went to yoga. Another beginner class, pretty soon I'll have to start taking the mixed level ones. When I feel I'm ready... After that was breakfast at the Coffee Exchange, then I went to help with some PPRAC fundraising with Eric & Kris, Brian, Doug & Lori, and Eric's niece & her friend. The usual Wal-Mart scene, only it was much busier than I've seen it -- we were dealing with Saturday crowds rather than our usual Sunday scene.

Saturday night was the Haunted Tour of Easton. This was similar to last year's tour, absent the 2005 highlight (a visit to Easton's catacombs -- I shit you not, we have an underground cemetery) but for some reason the vibe was way more fun. I went to Which Brew for dinner afterward (Ryan Carr's band playing, birthday party for the publisher of The Elucidator, Tarot card readings at the window table), then over to Porters, where the Haunted Tour peeps eventually trickled in after their cast party. Needless to say, it became a late night, good thing I walked...

Sunday was a Jim Thorpe ride. Pretty good, though some trails had been damaged by quads, and some destroyed by bulldozers, since the last time I was there more than a year ago. (Once upon a time I probably rode those trails twice a month.) I skipped the post-ride libations, because my parents (Hi Mom! Hi Dad!) were at the Water Gap checking out the foliage, and we met for dinner at Everybody's Cafe in Stroudsburg (two thumbs up for food and atmosphere). Very cool, and I was surprised by how well my plans came together.

Anyway, today is probably a rest day or the gym, maybe some yoga-at-home -- tomorrow is that Svaroopa class, and the girl always asks me if I've been practicing. Wednesday is the "Salisbury Summit," a meeting of local clubs to talk about the Sals trails.

No comments: