Thursday, February 09, 2006

Oh, Whoa, Whoa, I'm On Fire

Morning weigh-in: 181#, 6.5% BF

Worked late. Got home last night, ate dinner (baked stuffed tofu, sauerkraut, a salad), did some schtuff, including laundry and computer photo follies, then went for a run around 10:00. Back to the 'puter, then bedtime at 11:30.

Linux Voyager, Navigational Difficulties: My camera's memory card is "double-sided;" there's 128 Mb per side, and which side you're using is controlled by a little sliding switch on the card. I hardly ever fill the card with photos anymore, since I regularly offload the photos onto my hard drive --so what this means that I usually only use one side of the card. Last night I was cleaning up my memory card, and on a whim I checked "the other side of the card" and found a whole bunch of photos dating all the way back to 2003...

What to do? Most of them I know I've already messed with, one way or another, even putting some in galleries, but I'm not sure if I'd archived the full sized files even for those I recognize, let alone being sure about every last photo.

What I wanted to do was check that the full-size versions of the photos are on my hard drive, then erase them from the card, but there are so many of them that to confirm each photo manually would take hours. I'd like to be able to use a simple script, saying something like "for each of these files, look on my hard drive and let me know whether or I've archived it already."

Unfortunately, the directory structure of my photo archives were evolving back then, ie my early file storage didn't follow a standard pattern from photo set to photo set, thus the simple ways to do this are ruled out. To compound the problem, I habitually renamed my photos back then when I archived them, so even sophisticated approaches to "take this file named blahblah.jpg on my memory card, go look for a file with the same name on my hard drive" won't work.

What to do, what to do? I had a lot of fun with find, locate, and grep last night, but those photos are still on my card...

Fire: Meanwhile, my whole upper body is itching like mad, my skin has broken out in some kind of hive/ecxema dealie. This been been going on for about a week; I suspect that it's the result of a minor food allergy -- like maybe that flavored coffee?? -- taken in small doses over a period of time. I tossed the last of that shyte out when I restocked with my normal blend last weekend, so I guess now I'll just have to wait for my body to detox & calm down.

That leaves me in a quandary though: I was planning to do work a little late, do some chores, hit the gym, and finally have dinner at Which Brew while the laundry dries. I'm OK with the rash and the gym, but I'm not so sure about my weight progress and a bar-food dinner; also, though I do want to stop in, see who's there, and say hi, I'm not quite as OK with that rash and socializing. We'll see how I feel tonight.

No comments: