Monday, January 26, 2004

Pynchon, Pynchon, Pynchon

Morning weigh-in: 180.5#, 15.5% body fat

Looks like tomorrow will be my first real running test: it'll probably be drizzling in the morning, we'll see how things work out in those circumstances. This mornig it was snowing, but not much -- still very cold though, single digits before the sun comes up.

Pretty good day yesterday, by the way: brunch was excellent at the Green Cafe, though the place was as chilly as ever. The hike was good as well, though we got such a late start -- we being myself, Joe, Cos, and Daaaaave -- that we didn't bother to go all the way to the Pinnacle, just up "the initial" and down "the Missy," these names being what we called the first climb (of many) and the final downhill (named in honor of downhill racer Missy Giove), way back in 1995 & 1996, when the Chain Gang did hill training there on Wednesday nights. I can't believe that I still know the place as well as I do, after that many years...

Anyway, Joe had rented "Once Upon A Time in Mexico," which is a great move but the third in a trilogy. Turns out Cos has not only cable (unlike either Joe or myself), but a copy of "El Mariachi," the first one, on VCR. So, I grabbed a few of those holiday brews still lying around, plus a little hummos & pita, and they cooked a dinner, and we caught "The Simpsons," where Thomas Pynchon played himself with a paper bag over his head. Now that I've seen him, I'd know him anywhere... Then came "El Mariachi." Just as stylized as "Once Upon A Time in Mexico," though with poorer production values, and in Spanish with English subtitles. It was like watching folklore being invented, or maybe folk motifs being turned into a movie.

By the way, Joe seems to think he's in a battle for my soul, or at least my stomach. I borrowed a vegan book from him a week or two ago, he's all hyped up about my healthier eating habits, and he took great offense to a recent disparaging remark by Brian about my dieting... yesterday was vegan brunch, vegan dinner, I even brought over organic vegan snacks and organic beer... I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd had a turkey sandwich before coming over.

That was yesterday. Today was work, then spinning (this was my fourth consecutive Monday, I'm so proud), now a little pre-snowstorm shopping, and then to bed. Yo, later.

No comments: