Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Been A Long Time Been A Long Lonely Lonely Lonely

Whelp, I guess I didn't have as much downtime as I thought I would... super-busy at work the past few weeks, and lotsa running around afterward left me no time for blogging -- this was probably my longest dry spell ever.

What's been going on? Well I went to Missouri for work about a month ago, then I went to Washington, DC for my birthday weekend; I've been trying to get in some riding in the meantime, but the weather has been less than cooperative.

Reading #1: Elements of Mathematical Ecology by Mark Kot, a birthday gift from my mom -- thanks Mom! Yes, I am back on the Lotka-Volterra kick again...

Reading #2: The Possessed: Adventures with Russian Books and the People Who Read Them, by Elif Batuman. This was a gift from Anne, and it's pretty awesome: just a long string of slightly bizarre, almost-pointless anecdotes so far, but I totally can't out it down.

We hit a bookstore in DC, and I picked up a new copy of Gravity's Rainbow (wore my old one out years ago), as well as an unfinished novel by David Foster Wallace.

Listening: Just downloaded some Shins album last night, their first I think. It's pretty good, and strange how I already know most of the songs. (I also recently got "License to Ill," and the first Stone Roses album, but those were more like replacements.)

I'm off to get a haircut in about two minutes, then heading down to meet Anne and the knitting crew for Taco Night.

1 comment:

HMK said...

Welcome back, blogger!
Is Lotka from Taxi?
You love your books.
Me too.
I read a funny book women of my age would like by Nora Ephron "I Can't Stand My Neck."
Very witty.
A woman's view.
Born to Ill?
Dad & I audition for comedy skits tomorrow.
We go to Kevin's 6/16-6/23
Going to Miami Zoo & Seaquarium.
Wish Kevin belated BD
I don't think you or Chris called him.