Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Back So Soon?

Morning weigh-in: 173.5#, 10% BF
 
Scorcher today. Yesterday too, and tomorrow will be just as hot, then it looks like some fronts will blow through: chance of thunderstorms and slowly dropping temperatures for the rest of the week. Yee-ouch! Hitting the towpath tonight for intervals, this is going to be difficult.
 
I'm trying to get back into the training groove. Last weekend, and the weekend before, I fell off the wagon with some non-training rides -- no biggie, the rides were longer/endurance, or at least aerobic, "vacation rides," and the training program that I'm on is OK with taking those kinds of opportunities when they come along -- but I'd also been doing a bit of experimenting with my training routine, or at least the routes, trying to do interval-style workouts at places like Sals & Lehigh. Things didn't work out, workouts collapsed to "I'll just ride hard and see what happens," and I am now back to the structured environment known as the towpath for the majority of my riding.
 
In other bike news, this year's 24 Hours of Allamuchy has been canceled, and I have a feeling that there will be no more in the future. The end of an era: I've raced every one since 1996 (except 2007 when I was in Florida, and 2000 when I was on injured reserve, and served as a race volunteer). This has been a long time coming, race attendance has been dropping, steadily at first and then precipitously in the last year or so, and the promoters have never really addressed the biggest racer complaints: camping and parking hassles.
 

1 comment:

HMK said...

I wonder why the decline in interest for Allamuchy.
I know you always took part in that race. Sorry to see another chapter end if that is what's happening.
Are bike clubs sought out to join race or do clubs come to organizers? I imagine the camping/parking issues are a turn off to many. The race itself is a challenge.
Anyway, I hope you find alternate events.
Take it easy in the heat- today it's already over 100 and so on into tomorrow.
I got a bad summer cold from the heat. I have to resort to medicine now.
Get in touch with Patrick. he has done several very long road rides and has more coming up. I believe he's in 2 clubs.
Good to hear from you again.