Thursday, February 05, 2009

Nerdvana

Morning weigh-in: 173.5#, 11.5% BF
 
Breakfast yesterday was small, and so was dinner, but I had a huge turkey (and cheese! and mayo!) sub for lunch -- a-and so much for suppression, yoga last night was pretty tough but there's no sign of it in those numbers.
 
Reading: I'm getting towards the end of Everything and More by David Foster Wallace, one of my Christmas presents. It's basically a history of how mathematics has come to grips with the idea of infinity, and believe it or not, it's actually a real page-turner, a real pleasure to read, especially if you're a fan of DFW's conversational, idiosyncratic style. Next up is a book about the Golden Ratio, which should be interesting but probably isn't as well-written as EaM.
 
Navigating: I plugged the GPS into the laptop last night, and it turns out that accessing the data is a piece of cake, the whole thing just appears as an external drive. The data is organized pretty logically in files and folders, and it turns out to be fairly easy to extract to various mapping/training software & websites. This may not be true about moving stuff the other way, like installing new maps or software updates onto the Garmin, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it -- for now it does what I want, and more.
 
(Looking up from the laptop last night, where I was watching animated graphics  of my location, elevation, speed and heart rate from a recent ride, I saw myself surrounded by little electronic gadgets (camera, GPS), wireless mice, and books about numbers, and realized I had achieved... nerdvana...)
 
The only problem with re-animating my nerdly-ass avatar (aside from the obvious ones) is that I was always a bit absent-minded. Today I walked out of the house without my gym stuff, so scratch that. I think I'll be doing a short MTB ride, maybe something at Sals, a Dodson-to-Reeb downhill through the snow. After that is Porters, to check out the new Thursday Night Jazz.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you walk out of the house , return for your hat & it's on your head-then worry!!!
PS I worry!
Dad wants to know what GPS system you have for your laptop.
PS It's going to be a beautiful weekend.

We bought an LG 42" HDTV 720p plasma TV last night & Chris very generously came over & hooked it up- it's beautiful!
We're TV nerds!

Don said...

Good for you! I hope it does the job.
My GPS is a Garmin Edge 705, with heart rate monitor; it's a bike specific product.