Friday, January 09, 2009

So Far So Good

Partway through my first week of training, and things look good so far...
 
A Humorous Incident: The first ride of the Chain Gang's 2001 trip to Downieville started with a 17-mile climb. The group is working away, just chugging along up that hill... Joe C and I are riding together, and we looked at each other and said something like "this ain't so bad!" Just then, we turned a corner and saw a sign: "Mile Marker #1." So far so good, but we hadn't even started yet, really. (Actually it wasn't too bad, and the 17-mile downhill on the other side made it all worthwhile.)
 
Anyway, I did yoga Monday, rode the towpath Tuesday, did more yoga Wednesday, hit the gym last night, and tonight is another towpath ride; tomorrow is yoga and the gym again, and Sunday is a "wintry mix" fun ride. Mostly cross-training right now, but my plan is to ramp up the cycling volume next week and the week after, to complete my first "base period." (Following a "rest week," my next period will pretty much duplicate this first one, but with somewhat more intense rides and pace.) We shall see -- Tipperary is still a long way off.
 
I do have a secret weapon this year: Google Calendar. I've planned out all my training periods (if not all individual training activities -- yet) up to the W101 as tasks/events on the calendar, and have been keeping logs of my training sessions (OK, session) so far as comments. My big problem last year was that I started training way too late, and this year I think I have that licked -- I'd better, since the very next day after the W101, we head out to start the PPRAC ride.
 
Yep, I'm doing that too. You have been warned.
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, you've "warned" me; but I still need a reminder. SO, when the time comes, you'd best either email me OR put a reminder in you blog that donations are now being taken. Otherwise, I'm sure to forget. Also, remind me to whom the check is to be made; and I'll send it to your house.

Anonymous said...

Make that YOUR blog.

Don said...

Thanks Toni! I'll put the word out for real when the time comes.