Friday, January 09, 2009

Rest In Peace, Sweetness


At Megan's Party
Originally uploaded by donXfive.
We went to Porter's last night to catch the open-mic show, since some people we know were going to be doing comedy routines routines (it was decent, definitely better than the usual music, and kind of fun to see them learning the ropes), and as we walked in I saw the the board outside said "Rest in Peace, Sweetness." Well, shit.

Sweetness was until recently a regular at Porter's, and you could see him there almost any evening. He told some good stories about his life, but I know almost nothing about him -- not even his name -- except that he had the same birthday as me. He was very good friends with many other regulars and the bartenders too. I hadn't seen him in a while, so I asked recently, and someone told me he had "health issues," which by the way they said it, it sounded like cancer.

Needless to say, things were pretty glum in there last night, especially among the bartenders and regular patrons.

2 comments:

Don said...

Here is the obituary for Louis "Sweetness" Seymore Jr.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about Sweetness. My bil started his battle with myeloma right before Christmas. He just buried his wife this past summer, and we knew this Christmas would be a tough one for him; but we never anticipated he'd have to deal with myeloma on top of the loss of his wife. We're hoping and praying he becomes a "survivor" statistic.

Life sure knows how to deal out a bad hand of cards sometimes, doesn't it? ;-(